Education & Research
Rhizome Connect 2021 (RCon21) is more than just an academic conference. The focus of RCon21 is bringing together academics, scholars, professionals, and research enthusiasts from around the world to connect, share, discuss and learn about BTS and ARMY excellence. A key aspect of the more ‘academic’ section of the Rhizome Connect Conference & Convention is the attention given to interdisciplinary research and professional practices, and how different fields of practice are impacted and shaped by or can draw from BTS and the music group’s fanbase, ARMY.
Who is Rhizome Connect for?
Researchers, Academics, Scholars, Professors, Industry Professionals, Students, and like-minded individuals from around the world.
When does Rhizome Connect’s 2021 take place?
Rhizome Connect begins November 3 and continues through November 7, 2021, on the Rhizome Connect website, streaming platforms, and the Rhizome Connect Discord server.
What makes RCon’s Global Interdisciplinary Education & Research special?
While we focus on discussing quality research and academia as well as connecting with established and reputed industry professionals, we also value providing a safe space for learning and the opportunity for emerging professionals, scholars, and researchers to connect with each other and present their concepts, research, and ideas in ANY language. As such, this becomes a space that brings together emerging excellence with established professionals from around the world.
In order to provide emerging researchers and scholars with the opportunity to present and discuss their ongoing and often incomplete work, research presented and discussed during RCon 2021 is NOT peer-reviewed.
Furthermore, Rhizome Connect is not an ARMY-only space for ARMY academics and ARMY professionals but also seeks to connect with non-ARMY scholars and professionals who resonate with BTS’s philosophy and look upon both BTS and ARMY as a legitimate source of inspiration and learning.
Proposed Live Event & Showcase Categories
Inspiration & Prompts
ART: Art, Arts & Cultural Leadership, The role of the artist & the role of art in activism
- Pandemic Proof: Understanding the Management & Strategy of BTS + HYBE as an example that explains a sustainable business model for the creative industries
- ARMY: the spirit of activism, resilience & global citizenship
- The changing role and value of the artist and art
- The relationship between artist business & artist activism
MUSIC: Lyricism, production, music & (identity, emotion, parasocial bonds, social surrogacy)
- BTS, Music & Identity (Individual, Social & National)
- BTS: Lyrical Geniuses of the 21st Century
CULTURE: Culture, Korean culture, cultural homogenization, pop culture
- Dissolving borders: BTS and Cultural Homogenization of the 21st Century
- Breaking the frame of Pop culture & Identity
- The impact of BTS on media & popular culture
- ARMY as an extension of BTS in personal and public spheres
TECHNOLOGY: Social media, cybersecurity, algorithms
- Imagination & Resourcefulness: Building a culture of innovation & digital transformation
- Savage Love: Pop culture, the artist & cyber security
- Clickbait, clout & media literacy
ACADEMIA: Fan studies, BTS & pedagogy, BTSology/Bangtanology or the study of BTS
- BTS & literature: Inspiring intellectualism in ARMY
- The BTS Syllabus: implementing BTS in curriculum
MIND: The mind, psychology, mental health awareness, identity, sociology, philosophy
- The BTS Effect: Understanding BTS’ effect on individuals and communities
- A psychological Analysis & Discussion to Understand Why BTS is so popular
- Persona: BTS, positive psychology, identity, Gender & Mental Health
GLOBAL: Internationalization, globalization, global citizenship, diplomacy & politics
- How BTS shapes the practice of global citizenship
- Melting borders like butter: How BTS & ARMY are changing the global landscape
- Army activism & global citizenship
- BTS & ARMY soft power
- Walking the tightrope: The relationship & balance between government & artist
- IDOL: Drawing the line between being the underdogs, Artists, Diplomats, Activists, and Global citizens
INDUSTRY: Music & entertainment business, intellectual property, marketing
- Savage Love: the Artist and the agenda of the media & press
- Tricks of the trade: How important is Western validation outside of the West?
- BTS’s media presence in South Korea: How are they represented back home?
- Fake Love: Paparazzi, Politics, Media & the Press