We’re so Lovely, You’re so Lovely
On behalf of the Rhizomatic Revolution Review (R3), thank you for attending our virtual conference. This event was free and featured panels, interviews, and an Expo Hall. We also offered virtual social spaces to bring attendees together and engage in meaningful discussions.
RCON returns November 3 -7, 2021!
The work presented here is in all stages: final, in progress, and proposed. None of the work presented has been peer-reviewed or published. For full access below, you will need to have the password used for the event – please see your registration email.
Main Stage Events
- An ARMY in Academia: A Conversation | Often, there are misconceptions about the ways that people working in academic fields balancing being a “professional” and being a “fan.” In this presentation, we will discuss how we have encountered these misconceptions and perceptions of being a fan doing academic work or an academic doing fan work. Perhaps the lines between the two are not so clear? Perhaps the lines between any of these aspects of our lives are not so clear?
- ARMY Publishers Panel | Calling all writers, artists and dreamers! Do you want to see your work published? Do you know about all of the ARMY run options to do so? We’ve invited a variety of ARMY publishers to describe what they do and why they do it and most importantly how you can join them – ARMY Magazine – Borasaek Vision – Dream Glow Magazine – Revolutionaries Book – Revolution Magazine – The Rhizomatic Revolution Review 
- Bangtan Craft | Stories of ARMY bringing Bangtan inspiration into unexpected and new frontiers. Using BTS themes to inspire their work and businesses.
- Bangtan Universe, The Beginning – What is BU all about? | Let’s take a look at the different pieces of this huge puzzle that BTS Universe is. Together with Courtney, we will walk through the contents in the MVs, the Notes, the Smeraldo Blog and the Save Me webtoon. We will also check other parts of BTS Universe that are different in terms of storytelling and Angela will share with us her particularly moving view of Spring Day among other ideas. We will finish this session with an open discussion about how the different BU stories are weaved into the MVs.
- Bangtan Universe… We need help to understand! | Now that we have gone through the stories of BU, let’s try to understand what all of this means. Callista will explain to us the idea behind The Hero’s Journey and how it connects to BU Jin character. Sarah will give us a deep dive into her interpretation of Black Swan’s storytelling through the MVs. Together we will also have an open discussion on the Wings era, with Hermann Hesse’s Demian and the Short Films related to BU.
- Beyond The Screams: How BTS Affect Our Professional Life | In social media, BTS ARMY has set movements to showcase their diversity in ages, origin and professional expertise. BTS hardship and work ethics have inspired ARMY in building their professional life and goals, how BTS and Big Hit company built its reputation from underdog to K-pop empire. The panel will discuss how BTS affect ARMY in their daily professional life as women workers, girl bosses, and students. The panel also will highlight the gender bias in stereotyping BTS fandom on social media. In the midst of a pandemic, the discussion will share stories on how BTS can simply make you happy and excited with life.
- Brazilian ARMY and Research – a case study of BAA | In this panel, we bring together a few members of the collective of Brazilian Academic ARMY – BAA – to present the project from its inception, the challenges we face as academics and fans in Brazil, and our future plans for the initiative.
- BTS and Cultural Competency in Media | In this panel, we hope to discuss the cultural issues at play (if there are any) when Western media reports on BTS, and more broadly, how Western music journalism should change in order to more accurately portray global entertainment.
- BTS and self-care: Why BTS is good for physical, mental and emotional well-being | We live in difficult times. People feel overwhelmed, anxious and unsettled. Self-care became essential to stay sane. For ARMYs, BTS was a big part of their self-care routine – their source of comfort, positivity, strength and inspiration. What makes BTS so good for physical, mental and emotional well-being?
- BTS and the Education System: The Inspiration of ARMY Academy | The pressure of the education system and its effects on the students’ mental health is one of the numerous social issues that BTS addresses. Through their music and actions, they stand up for all the students who experience academic pressure who are expected to live up to society’s standards. In this panel, we will discuss how BTS inspired us to create ARMY ACADEMY, an organization that provides support for students worldwide.
- Exploring a universe of connection with Connect, BTS | Join Revolutionaries Director and author Wallea Eaglehawk, film scholar Andrew Ty, and art scholar Alice Van Pelt on a deep dive through global public art project Connect, BTS. Eaglehawk has spent three months working with ARMY from around the world to write about the exhibits and examine what forms of connection have taken place. From connection to spaces, ideas, and one another, Connect, BTS exemplifies the pinnacle of human connection in contemporary times. In fact, it could be argued that it is revolutionising how art is accessed and consumed. Ty explores the direct connection between the exhibits and BTS’s music videos. Van Pelt gives her unique views on the changing world of art in which BTS are now an actively taking part.
- How fanbases can improve the ARMY macro system | How the fanbases are able to influence ARMY. In times like protests, BTS birthday projects, stream parties, etc., our fandom gathers together and is part of something bigger. The ARMY must be interested in learning it because, right now, we are phisically separated, but the fanbases keep the fandom together and still fighting.
- I Am ARMY: exploring the ARMY identity through autoethnographies | I Am ARMY is an anthology of autoethnographic essays written by members of the BTS ARMY from all around the world. The book is the end result of a process to locate, document, value, and celebrate the diverse experiences of ARMY. In this panel, editors and writers will come to talk about their experiences as ARMY and how they used sociological and psychological lenses to explore their narratives on the page. This panel will show how everyone can use their personal narrative to uplift and inspire others, creating and adding to knowledge which can help inform the study of cultural phenomenon like BTS for many years to come.
- Interview with Wallea Eaglehawk | Celebrated fan artist AJ interviews author Wallea Eaglehawk on her latest book, Idol Limerence: The Art of Loving BTS as Phenomena. As a key collaborator on the project, AJ worked alongside Eaglehawk to create the infamous cover art. In this intimate and fast-paced interview, AJ will delve deep with the author to find out about the social theory of idol limerence and how it relates to BTS and ARMY. The process of creating art that communicates the content of a book is no easy feat; learn how the artist and author came together to create an unforgettable book. AJ and Eaglehawk will share their journey through conversation on creating art and words that celebrate BTS and ARMY.
- Magic (Work)Shop: Journaling and Creative Writing Masterclass | This masterclass on creative writing and pop culture non-fiction is intended for artistic fans writing at any level! In the first half of the masterclass, we’ll share writing prompts, talk about turning your enthusiasm about BTS into artistic projects, and discuss journaling and getting started on your writing.
- Map Of The Soul era and psychology. What’s coming next? | The Map of The Soul era has brought a whole new universe with it and the psychology aspects running deep in the MVs got all ARMY theorists thinking… even harder! Jessica will help us understand the different archetypes and we will deep dive into Persona, Shadow and Ego MVs. Selene will give us her ideas and theories on how Jungkook and Taehyung can be key in the main BU story. We will wrap up this session with an open discussion on theories for what’s coming next in BU.
- Os Movimentos de Cena nos Videoclipes de K-Pop – K-Frame de Boy With Luv | Neste painel quero apresentar a minha pesquisa do Trabalho Final de Graduação, onde mapeei frame by frame os movimentos de câmera de 4 m/v’s, sendo um deles o de Boy With Luv, tendo como objetivo entender quais eram os movimentos de câmera mais utilizados nos m/v’s de K-Pop e a sua relação com os movimentos da coreografia dos grupos. Além disso, tenho como meta apresentar o processo que desenvolvi para analisar os m/v’s frame by frame.
- Past, Present, and Future with BTS and ARMY | This interactive discussion will include conversations between Mish (ARMY since 2015), Lauren (ARMY since 2017), and Jessica (ARMY since 2020) about their experiences that led them to become ARMY, how BTS has helped them through their lives and most recently through the global pandemic, and their thoughts on the future, with BTS and ARMY. With three different fans entering the fandom during three different eras, we will get a unique look at how both BTS and ARMY have changed over time!
- Researching BTS Through Data & Information Science | While pop culture has traditionally been regarded as merely a “fun” topic of study, we are now seeing the growing influence and importance that BTS is having on the research and academic community. Dr. Jin Ha Lee from the University of Washington Information School and sociology PhD student Nicole Santero from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, will share insights on the increasing awareness and interest in research topics related to BTS and ARMY. In addition to sharing their pathways to doing this type of work and providing updates on new studies they are currently working on, they will discuss how data and information science can be applied to research on fandom and used to further showcase the impact of BTS and ARMY.
- Stay Gold: Narrativas Audiovisuais | O painel irá utilizar o MV de Stay Gold para explicar sobre conceitos e técnicas de Narrativas Audiovisuais e Linguagem Cinematográfica para interessados em Produção Audiovisual.
- We, like BTS, are revolutionaries: exploring the concept of BTS as participatory revolutionaries | Writers from the publication Revolutionaries, along with author and Director of Revolutionaries Wallea Eaglehawk, will explore the concept of “participatory revolutionary.” Eaglehawk coined the term “participatory revolutionary” in 2020 after a year of studying and writing about BTS as revolutionaries.