Rhizome Connect brings together fans of BTS, researchers, scholars, music enthusiasts, artists, and professionals across a multitude of interdisciplinary practices for 5 days of an open-access, FREE, virtual global conference and convention showcasing and celebrating BTS & ARMY research, fan projects, art, histories, and everything Bangtan. This year, the themes for this online annual ARMY gathering were chosen in the spirit of resilience: Adapt, Hope & Grow. We aim to be a safe space for discussion, connection, and learning within and between ARMY and interdisciplinary creative and academic communities about a range of topics related to and inspired by BTS.
This year, Rhizome Connect 2021 will take place November 3 – 7, 2021, and will be open 24 hours a day during that time to accommodate all time zones. We are currently seeking volunteers who are available to help with advanced planning for RCon in addition to volunteers who are interested in helping out during the 5 days of the event. You do NOT have to be fluent in English to volunteer.
- Knowledgeable about BTS and ARMY
- Has a strong interest in engaging within the ARMY community
- Friendly, approachable, welcoming and upbeat
- Interested in and committed to participating in Rhizome Connect 2021 activities and discussions
DURING the event (November 3 – 7)
General Volunteers & Energy Boosters
- Help Facilitators with noting questions, monitoring the chat, and tracking time, etc
- Encourage attendee participation during scheduled discussions and Q&As
- Assist Sunshine Leaders and Rhizome Connect staff during various activities and sessions. For example: a volunteer may be the one to break the ice and engage with Attendees and Speakers during discussions; help make sure the community remains a safe and welcoming space for all guests; regularly share enthusiasm for the scheduled events you find interesting; if available, join events with lower than expected participation and help bring up the energy
- General assistance with various activities as they happen
BEFORE the event opens
Bi/Multilingual Communications Specialists (Portuguese & Indonesian teams are full)
- Help communicate information to attendees and participants in languages other than English like: French, Spanish, Hindi, Tagalog/Filipino, Russian, Korean, German, Japanese, Javanese, Chinese, & more!
- Assist in translating announcements from English to other language(s) leading up to the event
- Help create interest on social media specific to your local community
Marketplace, Legal, Sponsor Leads and Co-leads (teams currently full)
- Help plan and coordinate event specifics before Rhizome Connect 2021 opens to the public
Marketing & Outreach Team members may participate in one or more of the following:
- Help spread awareness about Rhizome Connect among various ARMYs and ARMY organizations
- Encourage various ARMYs and ARMY organizations to organize and participate in their own Rhizome Connect activity or share a presentation about their specific ARMY organization and events
- Help create and edit original RCon graphics to share across social media
OCTOBER (from October leading into Rhizome Connect 2021)
- 2-4 person team to plan and execute the RCon 2021 Launch Party and Wrap Party
- Help organize the Rhizome Connect Discord server leading into the event
- Help maintain code of conduct and welcome community during the event by respectfully enforcing server rules and helping guests on the server as needed
- Twitch or YouTube savvy person to lead or assistant with RCon streaming platforms for the Live Events (panels, discussions, presentations, etc)
Sunshine Leaders work with 1 or more co-leaders to:
- Plan and execute at least one group activity for those in their region (group of close time zones)
- Help with a 10-30 minute welcome activity & expectations with your Boosters prior to the event
- Communicate with your Zone Boosters each event day to share RCon updates, answer questions, and give positive energy
Conversations Guides work with 2 or 3 co-leaders to:
- Brainstorm and plan a series of rotating conversation topics and themes meant to spark interaction and discussion
- During RCon 2021 post the next conversation topic in of of the 3 Pop-Up Conversation channels (each channel’s topic changes twice a day)
Your schedule depends on the activity. The Volunteer Schedule will be based on the scheduled RCon sessions and activities AND the availability and interests of each individual volunteer. For example, during the event you might sign up in advance to help for a specific session/activity; or you might be assigned a role as you become available whenever you check-in; or you might be scheduled for one or more sessions during the times you noted you were available. We want to put people where they will have the most fun, while also leaving plenty of room for everyone to enjoy the event without any assignment, so whether you’re available for 1 day or all days, it’s all great!
GENERAL VOLUNTEER TRAINING
Training will take place 1-2 weeks before Rhizome Connect 2021, we will have ONE 60 – 90 minute online training covering the event, expectations, and how to help, as well as a fun icebreaker activity. There will be multiple training options to accommodate various different time zones and availability.
If you have any questions about volunteering for RCon 2021, please email us at volunteers@RhizomeConnect.com.